Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Word for Wednesday

W  


anderlust: a strong innate desire to rove or travel about


I LOVE this word.  I first was introduced to this word about 7 or so years ago by a friend who was using the word to describe how I was feeling at that moment.  He said: "So you've got a lot of wanderlust, huh?"  At the time, I had been telling him my plan to move back to San Francisco as soon as I figured out what I wanted to go back to school for- (I was a public school teacher, and though I loved it, knew I wanted to try something else).

Our last visit to San Fran, 2007.
 
I ended up going back to school to get my Masters in Social Work about a year after that conversation, and stayed in Columbia, SC to do it because it was exponentially cheaper to go to a school in-state.  I told myself, "after school, I'll move west; just 2 years more."  Well, in that 2 years I met my husband, fell in love, and then got married in 2008.  And we're still in Columbia.

Don't get me wrong, I really do love this place, and our families are both here, and I love my job...but I still have major wanderlust...especially for San Francisco.  We went to Europe for 10 days last summer on our belated honeymoon, and that took care of the wanderlust for a minute.  I'm currently thinking of another trip to cure the itch--any suggestions?

The view of the amusement park from our balcony at Gran Hotel La Florida in BarcelonaIf you've ever seen Vicky Christina Barcelona, this is the amusement park shot in that film.

Do you have wanderlust?

Definition via dictionary.com
Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische

3 comments:

  1. i LOVE vicky christina barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the movie too, Kristin. I didn't see it until after we stayed in that hotel by the amusement park, so it was really cool to be watching and say "OMG-we could see that from our hotel!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think wanderlust is my new favorite word...and I have it, for sure...all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete