Saturday, January 2, 2010

31 Things in my 31st Year

So, tomorrow, (as in less than 1 hour from now), is my 31st birthday. Wow. Still sounds old.

Here is my list of 31 Things to accomplish in my 31st Year. Some are pretty simple and some are a bit more challenging, but exciting all the same:

31 Things…

  1. Become more aware of what I eat, where it comes from, and how it affects my health. (Read Eating Animals).

  1. Run at least 5 races (5K or 8K). (The next one will be the Race for the Place 5K to benefit St. Lawrence Place, February 6th).

  1. Video tape my grandmother cooking some of her best dishes, (the ones she can’t write down the recipe for since she ‘just throws some things together’).

  1. Video tape my sister giving birth to her second baby…(no NatGeo shots, just document the event).

  1. Create something new at least once a month—(sew something, write something, cook something, make something).

  1. Take a road trip to Washington, DC. (Been wanting to go back for a couple years and just haven’t gotten around to it; Aunt LeAnn, here we come!)

  1. Call friends who live out of town; at least one a month.

  1. Get a pedicure at least every 6 weeks; the money saved by not doing so is not worth the embarrassing-looking toes.

  1. Volunteer somewhere new. I am thinking of getting a Meals on Wheels delivery route.

  1. Train my dogs to walk civilly on leashes. And then take them on regular walks.

  1. Wear sunscreen more vigilantly. (Can’t promise I will not sunbathe, but I’ll at least wear SPF 15 when I do).

  1. Start a new book club—yay!

  1. Entertain people at our house at least once a month; whether it be a small dinner party or a party party…it just makes me happy.

  1. Frequent the Columbia farmer’s markets more often—the State farmer’s market and the All Local one.

  1. Read East of Eden; a classic, and one highly recommended recently by a friend.

  1. Forgive myself and move on for not being able to finish Atlas Shrugged.

  1. Figure out how to re-design the look of my blog and do it.

  1. Learn to bake bread.

Image via here
  1. Make something using the immersion blender that we registered for and received for a wedding present.

  1. Organize my recipes.

  1. Take more pictures.

  1. Save up for our next big vacation…which will hopefully be somewhere in Central America, Europe, or back to the West Coast…

  1. Buy more fresh flowers.
    Image via here

  1. Write more.

  1. Do something spiritual at least once a week.

  1. Eat more fresh fruit and veggies.

  1. Plant (and keep up) an amazing spring/summer garden.

  1. Call my grandmother at least once a week to hang out.

  1. Learn to knit.

  1. Patronize local art, theater, restaurants, music, etc as much as possible.(The Nickelodeon, Columbia Museum of Art, Trustus Theater, etc...)

  1. Forgive myself if I don’t accomplish all of these things this year :)

3 comments:

  1. You know you are welcome here anytime!! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! love ya! -LeAnn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps... we will take you to a good Ethiopian restaurant while you are here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll go to DC with yall... help you pant the garden (if Im in the states, that is)... and as always, me, you and Yimmy will teach each other new recipes every time I'm there!

    Can't wait to see yall in a few weeks! It's time for Bennies and Bloodies again!!!

    ReplyDelete