Monday, November 16, 2009

Ode to the Obento!

As I once again sit at my desk on a Monday and make silent oaths in my head to "not drink so much next weekend," "only eat pizza once a week," and "definitely run more than once this week," I am inspired by the Bento lunch craze that has become increasingly popular in America...

I had heard the word "Bento" in reference to a lunchbox, but wasn't quite sure what it entailed...basically, it is defined thusly: a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bentō consists of rice, fish or meat, and one or more vegetable, usually in a box-shaped container, (wikipedia.com). Obento, in Japanese, means "boxed meal," and is an art-form. Japanese mothers spend a lot of time making the perfect obento--a balance of color, taste, and texture.

The New York Times recently did a story on Bentos, Bento Boxes Win Lunch Fans. Bentos can be cute, but don't have to be, and are great for help with portion control. Here are some super-beautiful and creative Bentos...maybe when I have kids I'll attempt one of these...
via here

via here

Until then, maybe I can try making one more like this:
via here

And here are a few Bento accessories that I would love to have:
2-tier Bento box
via here

Mini-animal soy sauce bottles
via here

Bento divider cups
via here

I'm going to experiment with Bentos soon...I'll post the prototypes.

If you've ever tried making Bentos or if you're inspired, please let me know and post pictures. Here are some Bento-inspired blogs:

No comments:

Post a Comment