Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Can you Tell Me How to Get; How to Get to Sesame Street?

via here

Happy 40th Anniversary, Sesame Street! I was inspired to write this post after I listened to this story on NPR on my way to work this morning.

I, for one, grew up watching the show in the 80's and I loved it--(and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood too, for the record--RIP Fred Rogers). I can remember curling up with my baby sister on the (brown) carpet in my childhood den--sometimes surrounded by the brown and orange pillows of our pillow-fort, (hey, it was the styles of the 70's!), watching "Ses Street," until my mom would call us in the kitchen for dinner.

I love that Sesame Street teaches not only the basics--ABC's and 123's--but also valuable lessons such as tolerance, compassion, and friendship. It teaches children to value diversity, embrace differences, and be kind.

My favorite characters were Barkley, (the dog), and Snuffleupagus...he was always sad and I just wanted to help him or cheer him up. (Maybe that's what drew me to social work--who knows...).












I now get to see my nephew enjoying the same Sesame Street characters--his favorite is Oscar the Grouch. And if you ask him where Oscar lives, he proudly says: "in a frash can!" (I love that kid).

{ I also love Anderson Cooper, so had to use this pic!}

Thanks to the production team of "Ses Street" for continuing to make an academically and socio-emotionally educational children's program that has spanned generations--one that I hope will be around for my children to watch someday.

Now, if only grown-ups could always remember to be tolerant, compassionate, and kind....

All pictures of muppets and Anderson Cooper via here.

No comments:

Post a Comment