Monday, May 23, 2011

Summer Books

Warning: this post is asking a favor of you, dear reader: please comment. 

As a reader of tons of blogs, believe me, I know the drill; rarely do I comment.  But please know as a writer of a blog, it means the world when you get a comment.  Truly.

Anyway, I would love any and all comments on this post in particular because I am planning my summer reading list and have basically nothing to start from.  So, please tell me what to read!  I like anything--fiction, non-fiction, chic lit, biographies, how-to/self-improvement, even a little sci-fi is ok once in awhile. 

Here is the only book that is on  my list so far that I plan on reading this weekend while I'm at the beach:

image via here
"The central premise of this book is that many of modern society’s strategies for nurturing children are
in fact backfiring – because key twists in the science have been overlooked.
Nothing like a parenting manual, NurtureShock gets to the core of how we grow, learn and live."
Sounds interesting, huh?  Not sure what to think of this, but I will definitely let you know my review!

So, please...give me some good book ideas for the summer?
XO, Becca

9 comments:

  1. New books: Bossypants by Tina Fey, and If You Ask Me (And Of Course You Won't) by Betty White. I've devoured both of them so far, and I got them both from the library (Lexington county) pretty quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read "The Help" yet? It's a wonderful novel. The movie is coming out sometime this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hunger Games series is a must. I liked Mommy Tacked by Whitney Gaskell. I am reading Abe Lincoln vampire hunter right now. Good stuff. Emily giffon's books were really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, casting your words out in the world, wondering "Is anyone out there?"

    I am! And I offer a few favorites:
    - Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese
    - Unless by Carol Shields
    - Crossing to Safety, by Wallace Stegner
    - Middlesex, by Jeffery Eugenides

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I will go ahead and reveal my ultimate guilty pleasure. The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward. It is crap writing at it's best :) But a very compelling and addictive storyline. There are currently 9 with more to follow. I have them all if you want to borrow any. Happy reading! I will use this post to get some ideas of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some recent favorites:
    - Freedom, Jonathan Franzen. A tome, but really good, although slightly depressing.
    - Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. Non-fiction about a poor woman from Baltimore whose cells were taken unknowingly and subsequently used for multi-billion dollar research. Fascinating, and a good book club read.
    - Devil in the White City. Just started, and LOVE already. Non-fiction.
    - Making Toast, Roger Rosenblatt. Listened to this on a long car ride. Sweet story.
    - Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. Good light beach read.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone for the book recs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw this and thought of you!

    http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/05/26/summer.books.list/index.html?hpt=C2

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list; thanks buttercup419!

    ReplyDelete