Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A Word for Wednesday

R



estitution:
restoration to the rightful owner; reparation made by giving an equivalent or compensation for loss, damage, or injury caused

So, this Sunday is Mother's Day. I wanted to pick a word for today that reminded me of my mother...I know, I know, this pick seems a bit odd, but here's the story:

When I was 4 years old I was playing at a friend's house and noticed this beautiful ring in her jewelry box and instantly wanted it for myself. [I'm pretty sure that it was a plastic ring, those of the dentist's-office-treasure-chest-variety, you remember those, right? Plastic and gaudy-as-hell, yet oh-so-chic when you are 4]. Anyway, when my friend left the room to use the restroom, I pocketed the ring.

The next day on our way to school, my mother noticed that I had the ring on my finger and she asked me where I had gotten it. I immediately burst into tears and told her I had taken it from my friend. She calmed me down and said it would be alright, that she knew just what to do, (as only mother's know how to do, you know).

Well, as my restitution, she made me march right into my 4-year-old kindergarten room and stand up in front of the entire class to apologize and publicly return the ring to my friend. I was a shy child, so this absolutely mortified me; I cried through the whole thing. Yet, I can honestly say I have not stolen a thing in my life since that cheap dentist ring.

Well played, mom. Valuable lesson instilled. Thanks for being so great!
And here's a picture of my beautiful mother, my sister and my nephew:


And, here's a deal for Mother's Day:
Click here to get a printable coupon for a FREE South of France bar of soap for mom from Earth Fare. (With $5 purchase; expires 5/11/2010). Or, save on beef tenderloin or salmon:

What's your most memorable "mom story?"

Definition via dictionary.com
Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische.

No comments:

Post a Comment