Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Hill Garden in May and a New Farmer's Market!

Year 2 of the Hill garden is going well so far. No bug infestations, no total failures, yet. You may remember my post from about a month ago where I listed what we planted, so I won't re-list.



The very first strawberry--so pretty and tasty! The sweetest strawberry I have ever tasted.

The first lettuce harvest-- a mix of arugula, spinach, romaine, and some others.

The garlic will be ready to harvest in the next week or so--I'll keep you updated! Let me know if you'd like any of the harvest, we have plenty to share.

Last Wednesday I attended the Forest Acres Farmer's Market
, located on the roof of Richland Mall. There were awesome vendors and gorgeous vegetables and fruit.




Heather's Artisan Bakery bread- always delicious

Love to see that Certified SC Grown logo!

I also ran into a friend from the All-Local Farmer's Market, Adriano Rota, of the ancient gourmet Roman cheese stand, Castra Rota. If you like cheese, this is something to try. I have also tried their homemade pasta, and it is amazing. The owner is a true Roman and is happy to share a new recipe every time I see him. A month or so ago he shared a recipe to try with the spinach pasta I bought from him--it was really great.

The side of the box of pasta, where Adriano hand-wrote the recipe for me.

The dish I made with the homemade pasta.

And he and his son dress in traditional Roman garb when manning their stand at market; the kitsch is kind of irresistible, no?


No comments:

Post a Comment