Thursday, May 20, 2010

A (late) Word for Wednesday

C


hive blossom:
an edible purple flower that grows from a chive plant; most members of the allium family, (including chives, leeks, onions, garlic), grow edible flowers

Last week I heard or read the word chive blossom 3 times. I had never before heard the word, or knew that chive blossoms existed. Funny how that happens with words or ideas sometimes, isn't it? One day you had never heard of something, then all of a sudden you're inundated with the information from a variety of sources...

Anyway--here are the 3 different contexts within which I became intimately familiar with the word chive blossom last week:

1) We have a chive plant growing in a pot on our back deck. I planted it last year and it struggled through the hot, dry summer, but somehow made it through to this year and all of a sudden it exploded. Amazingly green and long stalks of chive, then last week it started growing pale lavender flowers...I thought, "maybe that isn't a chive plant after all," not knowing that chive plants grow blossoms. Looked it up, and sure enough, chives grow blossoms that look like this:

image via here


2) Then, the very next day I was perusing my Google Reader and came across this post from the blog You Grow Girl. The post featured a picture (below) of her lunch, courtesy of her garden- which included chive blossoms. They're edible; sweet.

image via here

3) And finally, last Thursday I went to Pawley's Island (Litchfield beach), for a mini-vacay with my family. Upon asking a bartender at a local restaurant some suggestions of other local restaurants to try, he suggested Chive Blossom Cafe. (OK, so apparently I have been inextricably tied to chive blossoms somehow...I get it, universe. But what does it mean!?) Weird, right? Anyhow, we tried the restaurant and it was amazing--more on that in my post later tonight about all the wonderful food we ate while at the beach.

image via here

Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment