Thursday, November 14, 2013

Don't We All Deserve A Place at the Table?

One of my favorite spots in Columbia, one of our city's gems, I think, is The Nickelodeon Theater.  Before I had children, (when my nights were a seemingly endless barrage of opportunities to go out and experience the city), my girlfriends and I went to see at least a movie a  month, sometimes more, at The Nick. 

image via here
Fast forward a few years; we all now have children, and getting a babysitter is reserved to 1-2 nights a month.  Jaunts to The Nick aren't nearly as regular.  However, they showed A Place at the Table this past Monday, and I told my social work students that I'd give them extra credit to attend this poignant documentary film.  And in doing so, I got to go to The Nick on a weeknight.  And I got to see this raw and smart and provocative film about hunger in America.  (Side note: The film's soundtrack features The Civil Wars, who are amazing.  I blogged about them here.)

The problem is getting worse, not better.  And, you know that obesity problem that our country has, well it's inextricably tied to our hunger problem.  And our factory farm problem.  And the problem we have in our country of taking care of big corporations as if they are people, and caring not for the people themselves.

No matter where you fall on the political spectrum, having 1 out of 2 children in our country experiencing hunger is good for no one.  Hunger affects a child's brain development and health and learning capability...and that affects everyone's future.

Next week is National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.  Please do something to help the kids and families experiencing hunger and homelessness.  Watch this film.  Call, e-mail, or tweet your representative and let them know that you don't want them to cut food stamps (SNAP)Do something locally to help combat these problems. 

A quote I posted on the blog I write for St. Lawrence Place a few weeks ago puts words to this issue as succinctly as I can imagine: "The future which we hold in trust for our own children will be shaped by our fairness to other people's children,"  Marian Wright Edelman.

Hunger is a social justice issue.  Do something.


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you gave your students extra credit for going to the Nick! I also love the Nick!

    ReplyDelete