Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thursday's Thinking of Food

So, I have a few tidbits for you today--things I've read recently and my newest food obsessions:
image via here

If you follow me on Twitter or FB, then you know that I took my virgin trip to Trader Joe's this week.  Despite the fact that I was so over-hyped for it that it was bound to not live up, and the fact that due to a power outage, the store had NO cold items for sale that day, it was still pretty darn cool, y'all.  My 2 favorite things thus far: TJ's Dark Chocolate Roasted Pistachio Toffee and TJ's Harvest Grains Blend of Israeli CousCous, Orzo, Red Quinoa...seriously, yum.  I also got some Apple Banana Crushers for the baby, pasta sauce, pesto, Organic Fruit Wraps, organic apples, 3 bottles of wine, cashews, almonds, a list of stuff for a co-worker and a few other odds 'n ends for $75.  Everything is super-cheap.  Now, if we could only get a TJ's in Columbia...

But, know what Columbia does have to look forward to?!  Whole Foods!  Set to open in October 2012--it can't come fast enough in my opinion...

image via here

While reading my newest Eating Well magazine this week, I came across a couple things that I thought were interesting.  (Side note, Eating Well magazine is new to me, and it is awesome).

image via here

First, National Food Day is October 24th.  This is new this year, and according to the website: "Food Day seeks to bring together Americans from all walks of life—parents, teachers, and students; health professionals, community organizers, and local officials; chefs, school lunch providers, and eaters of all stripes—to push for healthy, affordable food produced in a sustainable, humane way."  So far there are no organized events planned in Columbia, SC--anyone want to create one or host one?!

image via here

Second, here is an unsettling fact about agriculture in America: "$1,500 is the amount per US household that goes to farm subsidies.  [And we're not talking tiny, family farms here, folks...]  Subsidies for corn and other commodity crops, such as soybeans, keep the price of unhealthy foods lower than healthy foods, like fruits and vegetables, argues Thomas M. Kostigen in The Big Handout (Rodale, October 2011)."  Another book to put on my reading list.

And, that my friends, is Thursday's Thinking of Food.
XO, B

No comments:

Post a Comment