Thursday, August 11, 2011

(Obsolete) Words for Thursday

B 


lateration: blabber; chatter

As in: Today I had to listen to some random guy's blateration about how he is much better suited to "bring home the bacon" and women should be at home. 

The word blateration is part of Oxford's, (as in the OED), effort to "save the words," and I have officially adopted it as my own.  According to the site, "every year hundreds of words are dropped from the English language," and this is the plan to save them.

image via here

If you go the the Save the Words site, you can "adopt" your own word.  Once you choose the one you want, you must promise to use it in your everyday conversations in an effort to save the word.  Nerdy and clever, my favorite combo.  I love it.

Wanna adopt a word?  Let me know which one you choose so we can help each other in our quest to save the words!

Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische.
Save the Words site found via @GOOD Twitter post.  (I heart Good).

2 comments:

  1. I have a coworker who is the queen of blateration! It'll be easy for me to use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lane--did you "adopt" your own word? Thanks for helping out with my word baby :)

    ReplyDelete