Friday, June 22, 2012

On My Brain Today

Some things that have been in my head and in my life lately:

Banana chocolate chip muffins.  I was the mommy assigned to bring "Fun Friday" snacks today for Jones' toddler class, and that's what I made.  I used this recipe from Life of Meg blog, (substituting applesauce for oil), and they turned out great.  My forays into baking don't always have such an ending, so I was pleased.

Gamecock Baseball.  3-peat in the works.  Good luck tonight vs. Arkansas.  So exciting!

This article on working moms attempting to "have it all" that's making the rounds on the interwebs. 

We're headed to Boca Grande, FL soon for vacation with my in-laws and it's a 10 hour drive, so I've been thinking of ways to keep my 17-month-old entertained in the car for 10 hours...here's what I've got so far: 
I bought and wrapped several cheap dollar-store toys, like glow-in-the-dark necklaces, stickers, a plastic dr's stethescope, small nerf football, and more. 
I of course have plenty of snacks--mixtures of raisins, organic cookies, cheerios, dried banana chips, cheese sticks.
A book light and a roll of painters tape.  Random, I know, but my son loves a flashlight, and I read somewhere that toddlers can be thoroughly entertained by a roll of tape.
Books--some familiar favorites and some new.

Here Comes Science Album via here

We have plenty of music- kid-friendly and otherwise- although Jones would mostly rather listen to grown up music than silly songs.  The kid music we have for him includes Muppets: The Green Album, They Might Be Giants' Here Comes Science, and some Lunch Money CDs--these are all fun, kid-friendly stuff, but tolerable for adults as well.

image via here

And, as a last resort, we have a portable DVD player.  Jones has never really been allowed to watch TV at home, and now that I actually want him to spend a few silent, immobile minutes in front of the tube, he isn't interested at all...so, not sure the DVD player will work.  But, in case, we have the newest The Muppets movie, Follow That Bird Sesame Street movie, and episodes of Fraggle Rock on DVD.
Any other suggestions?!

And, this little man is always on my mind- here he is on the way to school this morning wearing seersucker and Converse One Stars--my favorite combo of traditional and hipster ;)


Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment