Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Word for Wednesday

S


chadenfreude: satisfaction or pleasure felt at someone else's misfortune
(The word's origin is German; it's a combination of the German words for harm + joy).

Never in my life had I heard this word until last Friday night while watching Avenue Q, off-Broadway in New York City.  Pretty funny show, by the way.  There is an entire song about schadenfreude: (warning--it's not exactly a very kind or child-friendly song, but funny).


image via here

Then, not 2 days later, I read the word in The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz.  Here's the NY Times review of the award-winning book--I quite like it so far.

Has that ever happened to you?  You hear or read a word for the first time, then promptly hear or read it again and again?  I kind of love that phenomenon...and try to read some deeper meaning in it...I'm kinda romantic/superstitious like that...

Daily Drop Cap by Jessica Hische.

No comments:

Post a Comment