Thursday, November 4, 2010

Thursday's Thinking of Food-- Happy Animals

After a long hiatus, (constant nausea doesn't do much for wanting to think about food...), this weekly post about food is making a comeback!

November 2010- image via here

While reading the most recent Bon Appetit magazine last weekend I came across an article about a man named Patrick Martins, co-founder of Heritage Foods USA, or as the article dubbed him, "the heritage food hero."  He raises "happy animals"--and is on a mission to save heritage breeds of livestock and the family farms that raise them.

I love his answer about what makes a "happy animal": "It has room.  I think that's the biggest thing.  It can walk around.  No living creature should be forced to live in a box.  That should shoot through the heart of every American.  We live in a country that is wealthy, that is trying to improve itself, that is a moral beacon to the rest of the world.  We cannot keep animals in boxes.  Period."

Well said.  Hopefully we'll all think of this when purchasing the meat and dairy to feed our families with, and purchase organic, cage free, humanely-raised and slaughtered whenever possible.

And if you're in the market for a turkey this holiday season, my fellow Columbians, check out Earth Fare.  You can order your humanely raised, organic turkey now--and donate one to a family in need while you're at it--check with our local store for details.

And, I also found in Bon Appetit a recipe for Oatmeal Muffins that I just might have to try this holiday season...wish me luck!  (I have never had much--(who am I kidding, any)-- success with muffins, biscuits, or bread in the past, but I am determined!)

Anyone have any tips for successful bread/muffin/biscuit baking?  Are you as excited as I am for the impending holiday season!?

No comments:

Post a Comment